Friday, September 20, 2013

Gratitude and pictures

I thought I would update this post. I guess I didn't really go into the details about exactly how Broden hurt himself. I didn't see it happen, because I don't have magical eyes and can't see all my kids at the same time:) I am at peace with the fact that sometimes bad things happen and even I would have been standing right next to Broden, it still could have happened. So, that being said, this is what I understand from Broden. He was getting on the teeter-totter, standing on the end and jumped to sit down. Just when he jumped Remi got off the other side and when it dropped he fell on the handle, right on his belly. It is the same injury people get in car accidents from seat belts. It makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Broden watching a movie after his operation.
This is Broden's button. When he was in pain he kinda panicked if he couldn't find his "button." It would give him some morphine when he pushed it, then time out for 5 minutes before he could push it again.
Blowing bubbles for the Physical Therapist


Alissa visiting Broden and bringing the card she made him.


Broden's first time walking after surgery. The physical therapist is giving him a pep talk. This is the day he was ready to just give up on ever moving again and just wanted to stay in bed the rest of his life.
Walking down the hall. It is surprising how much we take for granted walking. He had a very hard time walking. He would tip over and it was very slow small steps. It reminded me of when my grandpa lived with us when I was a teenager and we would help him walk to the bathroom or to bed. It was so sad to see a 6 year old like this.
Feeling a bit better hanging out in the playroom

Playing on the Wii with new friends
Messy play time in the hospital
Parker playing in the play room
Alissa, Broden and Remi hanging out in Broden's hospital bed playing games.

Remi watching Broden play games on the ipad
The surgical site. This is Saturday, 10 days after surgery. They had just removed the drain. No stitches at all on the outside. Just steri strips.
Remi and Broden playing with plastic bubbles.
Remi's huge snot bubble(out of plastic)
Broden's certificate for doing so good when he got his PIC line
He was in ward D2

This is his IV stand. He did have another one on the IV stand when he had his morphine. So there were 4 machines on the stand and when he was getting his other meds he would sometimes have a 5th on the shelf behind the machine. Sometimes it was difficult going for walks with Kelsi in the stroller and having to drag this huge pole with all these machines and make sure Broden isn't tipping over, or stepping on his lines, or that I'm not wheeling over his lines, or that he isn't  going to fast so it is pulling on his lines and hurting him. It was always an adventure! We were excited when the one on his food got removed especially. It was really short and would barely reach the ground from the pump.
This is a close up of one of the TPN machines(there were 2). When they put in his PIC line it was right in the kink of his elbow. So if he ever bent his arm an alarm would go off and the screen would say downstream pressure exceeded. We got to the point where we would just tell Broden to straighten his arm and we would just push the orange button 2 times. Then it would restart and the alarm would stop. That was our joke after Broden had all his IV's removed. When someone else's alarm would go off we would say Broden straighten your arm:)

He even came up with ideas so he wouldn't have to hear the alarms. When you have 5 machines attached to you for IV's and 1 for Oxygen, the alarms are almost constant. He thought the machines should have remote alarms things that the nurses wear in their ears. Then when the alarm went off they would hear it instead of him. I thought it was a good idea! The nurse didn't seem to like that idea though.

Two cuties I'm sure any nurse would want to take care of.
First fluids!!! He was really excited to have more than just a drop of water. He even got to have squash(Kinda like cool-aid)
All ready to go home!!!
One of the bulletin boards in his ward.



So through this trial we went through there were so many things I was grateful for. I am going to try to list them, but I'm sure I will forget some.

I was grateful when Broden threw up that I started feeling better almost immediately and could clean it up. Blake can't handle cleaning up throw up and it obviously needed cleaned up. 

I was grateful I had the inspiration to look into abdominal trauma. I'm glad I didn't brush that thought off as being a worrisome mom.

I was grateful I had the inspiration last minute to switch to the double stroller so Broden could ride in it.

I was grateful someone could watch Parker. 

I was grateful the doctor could see us earlier than our appointment and that they were quick in assessing him.

I was grateful the surgeon could come down and see Broden.

I was grateful and comforted knowing the surgeon was LDS.

I was grateful the doctor was so understanding about me needing to make arrangements for our other kids.

I was grateful the assistant was willing to hold Kelsi when I had to take Broden to the bathroom(I think he was a young single guy with no kids)

I was grateful the doctor let me use her office phone when I didn't have service.

I was grateful I knew the nurse that was with us and that she could help with Kelsi and was so happy to help and was very sincere in her caring for Broden and willing to help in any way she could and saying that she would pray for him.

I was grateful the bishop was available.

I was so grateful for the blessing given to Broden and for the knowledge that through his faithfullness he would be healed.

I was grateful Blake was here in England with us and not in the states at any training or deployed.

I was grateful for all our friends who were willing to pick up our kids at school, take them to school, let them sleep over, feed them and us, Bring presents to Broden, visit him in the hospital, hold Kelsi for me so I could have a break, encourage me to take a break and go to craft night with the women in the ward, give hugs and words of encouragement, clean our house, fold our laundry, clean our yard the list here goes on and on. 

I was grateful I could swallow my pride and let people clean my messy house and put food in our messy fridge

I was grateful I didn't have to worry about food the whole time Broden was in the hospital. I got some basic groceries the first day(bread and eggs) and after that food was brought in every night and it lasted through lunches too. Someone even brought us pancakes that lasted the week for breakfast.

I was grateful the nutritionist at the hospital understood that I was breastfeeding and said that I would get hospital food because breastfeeding moms get hospital food.

I was grateful the PICU allowed me to be with Broden even though I had Kelsi with me. Also that the ward allowed me to be there with her. I was so worried driving up to the hospital that they wouldn't let me in with Kelsi. The hospital was 40 minutes away, so I would have had a very hard time leaving her with a babysitter.

I was grateful for the man who told me how to get to the hospital and where to go. 

I was grateful for the nurses who took good care of Broden and were a huge help to us too.

I was grateful that Blake's work gave him almost 2 weeks off to be with us.

I was grateful Broden's school was so understanding when we would come a little bit late to school or when Alissa didn't want me to leave her or when I brought cupcakes and they let me go in her classroom and help her hand them out and stay with her for a while.

I was grateful to the primary for making cards and a video for Broden.

I was grateful to Broden's school class for making cards.

I was grateful to the "Playteam" for helping Broden have things to do in the hospital.

I was grateful they had a "school" at the hospital and a teacher would come sit with Broden do school work with him.

I was grateful that Blake could get a blessing of comfort.

I was grateful I could get a blessing of healing and another one for comfort.

I was grateful that all along we knew what was going on with Broden. We didn't have to wait days on end for tests and wonder and worry. We knew what was wrong and knew he was going to be ok. This was a huge comfort to me. I know that my Father in Heaven blessed me with a peace of mind. I didn't once worry that Broden was going to die. I knew what happened was very serious, but I also knew Broden would eventually be ok.

One night when I left the hospital to come home the road the GPS told me to go on(a highway) was closed. I followed the detour signs and they just took me in a complete circle. I had no idea where to go and it was 11:15 pm. A man got out of his car and came and told me where he was going to see if there was another way around the closed road. I followed him and eventually my GPS picked up a different route that would get us home. I was grateful I had someone to follow. I was a little worried about following a man I didn't know on some back roads into the middle of nowhere, but that was just my mind worrying. I knew in my heart he was sent there to help me. Then I was even more relieved when we stopped once to talk about where to go that his wife was in the car with him.

I was grateful for all the modern technology for pain meds, nutrition, anesthetic, the list goes on and on.

I was grateful I could meet other people in the hospital. It made me grateful our children have been born so healthy. I am grateful we have never been in a serious car accident. One family was there with there little girl. The girl and dad had been in a head on collision and she had been in and out of consciousness. They life flighted her to this hospital and put her in a medically induced coma. She got to go home 1 week after she got there and was doing great. Just black eyes, no other injuries. Her mom was so grateful and amazed. Another little boy there had 2 broken legs and a big cut on his head. He also had been in a car accident and both of his parents were killed in the car accident. It was heartbreaking, but he had so much family there supporting him. He was probably only 4 years old. It makes me so grateful for eternal families.

I read this quote this morning and thought it applied It is an important part of our life’s experience to develop the strength, courage, and integrity to hold fast to truth and righteousness despite the buffeting we may experience.-President Uchdorf 

I am so grateful for my membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and that my parents taught me to be where I should be NO MATTER WHAT. They taught me to keep the commandments and always go to church. When I was a teenager I didn't always want to go to church, but they made me and now I am so grateful. I never would have gained a knowledge of my Savior had I not been to church. The strength I receive from going to church and taking the sacrament is beyond words. I know it is not because I am week that I go to church, but because I need the strength of the blessings I receive when I go and I need the strength of Jesus Christ.

I also read this quote off my friend's blog, "We know that the Savior has power to calm our storms, but sometimes He calms our souls instead." This is truly how the atonement works. I experienced this over the last 2 weeks. For some reason our Father in Heaven knew we needed to have this experience. We may not ever know why, but I know as I knelt in Prayer and asked for the strength to get through this hard time our Heavenly Father blessed me with strength and especially with a calm soul. Some people may think I didn't feel pity, or sadness or grief for Broden or what happened to him. I did to an extent, but I was blessed from the very beginning with a calm soul.

I am beyond grateful that Blake is in the Air Force and that all medical expenses will be covered.

I'm grateful the surgeon at our hospital told me that the hospital we were going to "Addenbrooks" is like the Harvard of England. That was comforting because I have never dealt with medical care over here except for on base.

I was grateful for the technology of cell phones and facebook so we could keep in touch with each other and family.

I was grateful a friend offered to make Alissa's birthday cake so I could take care of other things that needed done.

I was grateful our friends made Alissa's birthday special for her, even though it was a special day for Broden too.

I was grateful for our friends who brought movies and a portable DVD player for Broden.

I was grateful for Blake and how good he was with dealing with Broden even when he was feeling down and that he was willing to come be with the other kids so I could be with Broden during the day and that he was willing to stay the nights with Broden. Some of the other kids in the hospital were all alone at night and I thought it was so sad. I am so grateful our friends and ward family over here made it possible that one of us could always be with Broden. It was comforting to know that we were there when he would fall asleep or wake up in pain, or need to go to the bathroom, or anything he needed we could be there for him. There is no way we could have made it through this experience without all of our friends who helped us out here and all the prayers of our family and friends all over the world. 

Blake said it great when he said,"LOVE MY KIDDOS and MY WIFE! Hurray for God, Family and Friends the only things important in this life!

I agree, I love my kiddos and my husband. I am so grateful for God, Family and Friends, they are the only important things in this life!











No comments: