Sunday, August 14, 2011

The first of many

Today we got to go to our new ward for the first time as a family. It is so comforting to know that wherever we go in the world we can walk in to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and feel like we are home and like we have a family. Blake already knew some of the men in our ward from high school and dental school. I love that the kids can go to primary and already know the routine. They know that they will have singing time, sharing time and a class. This routine is so important to them, especially Broden. He has a hard time with change and I think because primary is pretty much the same wherever you go he did ok with it. I also love knowing that no matter where we live we will be taught the same lessons. It doesn't depend on our bishop, or Stake President or anyone in our church building, we are taught the same lessons, or same values and principles as the rest of the church throughout the world. I also love meeting new Young Women. It is great getting to know them and seeing them interact with my kids as babysitters. Although these things seem small, they strengthen my faith. I know that God is unchanging. His true church is on this Earth and I find comfort in the consistency I have found in church.
City sign













 Today after church we headed to a town called Castle Acre. I researched online castle ruins, hoping to get to a castle that was free to go into on a Sunday. We found one to explore. There isn't much castle left, but it was fun to explore.
Walking to the church
 We put Castle Acre in to the SatNav and headed up there. When we got to the town it was the cutest little town with beautiful old houses and cottages. We parked and headed to the biggest building we thought was a castle. It was the church and it was amazing. I think it was built in like 1116 or sometime around then. The gentleman working there was great! He showed us how the top part lifts off the font? I think that is what it was called. I am so bad at history, probably because I don't remember things. This was just a couple hours ago and I already forgot most of the things he told us. While we were there I took Alissa to the bathroom. While we were gone he let Broden ring the bell. Broden thought that was AWESOME! Then he showed us a huge key and let the kids hold it. Then he showed us how it opens the smallest door in the church where they keep the treasury I think he said. Broden said, "I want to see the treasure." The man explained that all the treasures are locked up in safe's to keep them safe.
Phone booth on the way to the castle

The kids didn't know what it was for
After we left the church we headed to the castle ruins. It was neat to see something so old. They had signs showing what it probably looked like at different time periods. It was called a Motte and Bailey castle. I worried that Remi wouldn't think it was that great because it didn't have a real princess living in it, but she still thought it was great. She is very into the history. She asks lots of questions like, why are most of the princesses dead? Who broke the castle? Where do the princesses live now? Why did the kings fight eachother? Where did the bad guys come from?

Castle Acre church
The font
I guess Blake and I need to do our research so we can answer all her questions. It will be fun to go to the castles that have tours so she can ask the guides all her questions.

Huge Key
When we got to the grassy area by the castle there was boy teenage rugby team playing some kind of game in the grass. When we got done looking at the castle we walked past them and they were having a little afternoon tea. When we walked past them they offered the kids some rockcake. We all thought it was really good. It was like a mixture between a cookie and a biscuit. I liked seeing all these teenage boys just lounging in the grass having tea and little cakes in the middle of a grassy meadow. That was the picture in my mind of us in England. Having relaxing afternoon picnics in the grass by castle ruins. I wish we would have taken a picture of the boys and their picnic.
Listening to the gentleman explain the key

After we explored the castle and walls around it we just played in the grass and had races and just enjoyed our Sunday afternoon together. What a fun day in Great Britain. We are excited to explore more!
Sitting in the chairs the munks would sit in







Castle Acre Castle ruins

Opening little door with key




old gate to the castle
















Rock cake



Running in the grass



No comments: